Friday, February 15, 2008

St. Valentine's Day

I know I am a bit late in getting a Valentine’s Day post up. However I didn’t want to end this day without saying how much I love it, and how much I love LOVE.

Today was the perfect day. I celebrated the traditional ways by eating a heart shaped pizza and writing love poetry with Lily (via text messages). I was also able to have a wonderful moment of a love infused roommate rescue mission. Then I finished the day off by humiliating myself at a Karaoke bar.

I love this day because it gives me an excuse to focus more on loving others. I believe in Love; whether it is true love, neighborly love, or brotherly love. No matter the form, it has a deep power that lies within it. I am trying to understand this power better and to use it more often.

I want to love more. I want to love deeper. I want to love openly.

I also want to find True Love.

I bought a book full of love stories to celebrate the holiday. The following quote is from that book. I think the quote is beautiful and hopeful. I love the way it describes the process and nature of Love, and how it finds us.

Maybe fate’s arithmetic is so diffuse that it’s not arithmetic at all.

The lights. The sleeve. The park. The taxpayers of Hoboken. The parents. The friends. The past. The swaying of the streetlights. The car passing. The present. The hopes. The break-ups. The conversations. The invention of the lightbulb.

It is the miracle of all these things coming together that constitutes love. The orchestra has been assembled . . . and now it plays.

It doesn’t have to be on Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have to be by the time you turn eighteen or thirty-three or fifty-nine. It doesn’t have to conform to whatever is usual. It doesn’t have to be kismet at once, or rhapsody by the third date.

It just has to be. In time. In place. In spirit.
It just has to be . . .

--David Levithan- How They Met

1 comment:

Whittron said...

I love that quote. Thanks for sharing.